AMPLIFICA selected the final cohort of 9 projects for its first edition. The 6-week pre-acceleration program focused on tech-based ideas focused on solving social and environmental problems was launched on March 8th.
AMPLIFICA is an impact pre-accelerator promoted by Área Metropolitana do Porto, to foster the social innovation ecosystem in the region. The programme is developed in partnership with MAZE and the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.
IES – Social Business School and UPIN – Universidade do Porto Inovação are also active partners and participate in key moments such as workshops and the Hackathon.
AMPLIFICA focuses on tech-based ideas that address social and environmental challenges. The programme transforms ideas into products in six weeks and provides a follow-up of 6 months to bring these products to the market.
AMPLIFICA follows the strategy of promoting social innovation in Área Metropolitana do Porto, which has been at the forefront of developing innovative projects to accelerate the local ecosystem.
The first edition of AMPLIFICA will take place between March 8th and April 24th. The program combines six weeks of intensive acceleration with two days a week of work sessions. The selected projects have access to full-time workspace during the acceleration period in the space NOW_Porto, one of the most dynamic hubs of Área Metropolitana do Porto.
The programme has a hands-on approach from day one to achieve robust prototypes of technology products and a clear path to achieve product-market fit. We will also be leveraging the ability to implement successful market entry strategies. AMPLIFICA will follow the Lean Service Creation method, a fast and efficient innovation process that follows the guidelines of ‘human-centered’ design.
During the programme, participants will have the support of mentors and experts from different areas dedicated to the projects: technology, product management and design. MAZE guarantees 6-month follow-up support after the acceleration period to create opportunities for exposure to potential customers and investors.
The nine projects selected to participate in the first edition of AMPLIFICA are the following:
- FoodSmarTag: Labels with intelligent sensors that change colour, based on pH indicators for application in food packaging to monitor the shelf life of a food, reducing waste.
- Surgeomate: Smart-glasses for surgeons that allow you to build a library with records of surgeries and connect surgeons in different parts of the world in real time to improve the surgical procedures.
- Serious Games for Health: Virtual Reality Products to improve health responses. A prototype in the area of Pediatric Oncology has proved effective in combating sedentarism and anxiety, increasing the response to treatments.
- Social Currency: A pedagogical game in which students explore new ways of interacting with money, introducing a Social Cryptocurrency that students can gain, exchange and invest in promoting the SDGs.
- Comfortbanho: Portable inflatable bathtub that allows a full bed bath to bedridden people, generating more quality in the life of these people and the work of health professionals and caregivers.
- Marzee Labs: Digital platform that will connect retailers with excess products and social associations that can redistribute surplus food to people in contexts of economic vulnerability.
- O nosso chão: A training game for children and young people, using Augmented Reality technology to encourage attention to the public space of their communities, performing qualification actions in their neighbourhoods and schools.
- DAReab: Construction of a specialised online support platform for support and cognitive stimulation to the Alzheimer’s patient and informal caregivers.
- Crescendo: Crescendo aims to be an artistic incubator to promote the development, sharing and interaction of various art forms and use them as a tool for community development.