Maze X received 238 applications from 44 countries and 15 different sectors primarily in sustainability & circular economy, health & wellbeing and agriculture & food. All applications underwent a thorough assessment process that ended with the final selection committee comprised of MAZE, the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, the Edmond de Rothschild Foundations, PLMJ, BNP Paribas and Hospital da Luz Learning Health.
The 10 impact startups of this inaugural edition are:
- EcoWave Power: patented technology for the generation of clean electricity from ocean and sea waves. The technology is comprised of unique floaters shapes which are attached to existing marine structures such as breakwaters, piers, and jetties.
- ElectricFeel: a mobility solution that provides a complete system solution to introduce and operate fleets of shared electric vehicles: e-bikes, e-scooters. They provide the platform to local operators in cities, who can be entrepreneurs, corporates, or public transport companies [pilot selected by BNP Paribas].
- ImagiLabs: mobile platform, programmable accessories, and a community to teach programming to young girls. The mobile application pairs with the smart accessories and introduces users to coding in a fun, tangible and engaging way, removing a large barrier to entry.
- MysteryMinds: smart match-making solutions where get matched automatically to one or more colleagues to increase knowledge exchange improve employee wellbeing [pilot selected by PLMJ].
- Nu rise: a medical equipment solution that allows doctors to monitor the level of radiation being delivered near tumours and surrounding organs at risk [pilot selected by Hospital da Luz Learning Health].
- Omoguru: a set of tools that facilitate reading for dyslexics such as a mobile app, OmoType font system, Google Chrome integration, among others.
- Panion: a keyword-searchable social app that connects people through common interests, values, and experiences.
- SafetyNet: hardware that enables fishermen to easily specify the wavelength, intensity, polarization and flash-pattern of the light it emits, to better attract the size and species of fish they are licensed to catch.
- sepiia: clothes that need less care (no iron, no stains, no smell), and give comfort to the user (breathable, elastic, no sweat patches), having the minimum environmental impact possible.
- vytal: smart and sustainable packaging-as-a-service to restaurants, canteens & supermarkets that pay us on a pay-per-filling basis, while consumers can use their service for free (one container at a time) or with a premium subscription for access to multiple containers in parallel and additional benefits.
Maze X is a 3-month accelerator programme that provides impact entrepreneurs who are solving the worlds’ most pressing problems with the capital, skills and networks they need to achieve their vision. It focuses on developing corporate pilot testing opportunities, so that startups use large corporations as a testbed for their products, providing invaluable customer feedback and market traction.
Maze X was conceived and initiated by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, the Edmond de Rothschild Foundations and MAZE, with the law firm PLMJ joining as a founding corporate member and BNP Paribas, Hospital da Luz Learning Health, Casa do Impacto as partners.